If you scroll through Instagram this summer, you’ll probably see people running marathons, climbing mountains, and surfing. All of those activities are great… but they aren’t the only things you can do to have a great summer.
There are plenty of ways to enjoy the sunshine without engaging in heavy physical activity. Let’s take a look at 34 ideas for packing in summer fun—without all the stress and sweat.
Low-Stress Summer Beach Activities
Headed to the beach? You don’t have to surf or participate in a competitive volleyball match to have a good time. The beach can be a relaxing place to chill out and soak in the sun’s rays. If you’d prefer to stick to the sand, not the surf, try these activities.
- Build a sandcastle.
- Hunt for seashells.
- Dig for clams.
- Read a book.
- Toss a Frisbee.
- Go fishing.
- Stroll along the oceanfront.
- Ride a bike slowly down the boardwalk.
- Wade in the gentle surf.
- Work on your tan. (But don’t forget your sunscreen!)
- Build a bonfire and roast some marshmallows.
- Watch the sunset.
You don’t have to be athletic to make the most of your time on the shore. No matter what you enjoy, the beach has something for everyone.
Low-Stress Summer Outdoor Activities at Home
You don’t have to go on a 50-state road trip or travel to another continent to have a great time during the summer. In fact, you can have just as much fun hanging out at home as you can on the road. Whether you’re staying at home to save money or simply because you don’t want to hit holiday traffic, these fun activities will keep you entertained without leaving your property.
- Camp in your backyard.
- Catch fireflies.
- Smell the freshly cut grass.
- Cook out on your barbecue.
- Eat dinner outside.
- Draw with chalk in your driveway.
- Get an ice cream when the truck drives through your neighborhood.
- Blow bubbles.
With the time you’ll save avoiding traffic, you can conquer all of these activities in one weekend! How’s that for summer bucket list?
Low-Stress Summer Weekend Activities
The long hours of sunshine often make weekends feel longer and more luxurious during the summer. Take advantage of the sunshine and the time off to enjoy these activities.
- Ride a roller coaster at a local theme park.
- Stroll through a local farmers’ market.
- Pick berries or peaches at a nearby farm.
- Make some lemonade from scratch and sell it on the corner.
- Host friends for a backyard cookout.
- Play lawn games like corn hole, giant Jenga, or ladderball.
- Pick wildflowers.
Seriously. What’s better than a summer weekend?
Low-Stress Summer Date Night Activities
Artists have a reason for making so many love songs and movies about summer loves: Something about the sun just adds a sense of endless possibility. Try these date night activities to provide inspiration for your very own summer romance story.
- Watch a movie at the drive-in.
- Play mini-golf.
- Go stargazing.
- Hit up a nearby pier and play some games.
- Bring a blanket and catch an outdoor concert.
- Visit a local brewery or winery.
- Go for a drive with the windows down.